Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Well, I COULD work.

I'm bored.

11 minutes until I'm outta my seat and onto the street, on my way home.

My stomach is halfway there; there's a beef frankfurter (yes, I did say "frankfurter") waiting for me with mustard, a thin long slice of a bread-n-butter pickle and just a sprinkling of garlic salt.

Mmmm...

10 minutes until I'm outta this cubicle and pounding the pavement.

The day would go faster if I'd worked. And there's so much to do; it's just that I'd have to really think in order to make enough sense of it all to address it in an orderly fashion.

Today is/was my play day.

Tomorrow, me and the grindstone are gonna be like that--> *crossing fingers*.

I saw this homeless guy today. Actually, I see him just about everyday. He sits on the corner across from where I live. I was walking towards him today and I had this strong inclination to seat myself right beside him and ask, "Why do you sit here everyday?"

And, I entertained the idea that maybe his answer would be something different than the expected, "Because I have nothing better to do."

And, if he didn't have something better to do, then what if he were informed of some way to fill his time, other than sitting on a low concrete wall for hours everyday? If he had something to do, somewhere to go...would he?

And, I was thinking all this as I chickened out and continued my strides past the man (stopping long enough to say 'hello').

The church that I attend has a place called the DreamCenter that offers residence to those willing to volunteer their time towards helping others. What if I'd approached him with that info?

I'd envisioned his face wrinkling up in disgust, an eye roll at what he felt was just another high-n-mighty missionary. I envisioned his "no thank you".

And, for a split second I imagined the alternative. He asked for more info, I promised to give him a bus token the next time I saw him so that he could go and check it out for himself. And, I did.

It could happen.

I guess I don't know, now. Hm?

When God speaks to us and we don't listen, who suffers for that?

That man will still be sitting on the corner tomorrow, or maybe even this afternoon.

For him, nothing has changed.

And for me, neither.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home