Monday, December 20, 2004

Going, going...

gone? Maybe, since my posts are becoming more and more random (also see: arbitrary) and rare.

I've been reading a great book. Torture the Artist . A nice little ditty re: the idea that pain and suffering reap the best quality fruit (i.e. Art). A prevalent idea. I tend not to agree because, really, that would just suck! I deem myself creative, an artist and I'd like to think that my peak doesn't necessarily have to be inhabited alone, rejected, doubtful and full of hope. Because I think that it is that formula which would bring about touching works. To experience all that horribleness but still have hope, even against your will. And, to put that hope on paper, or canvas or in a chord.

But, many times people paint works filled with dispair. So, how does the aforementioned formula fit, here?

I don't know. Either way, the book basically posed the question that if given the choice, would you (the talented artist) choose a life of normalcy with the daily grind, the daily heartaches, the litte but lasting joys, the commonality of the average Joe's life vs. finding solace in the dogge pursuit of reaching your potential, birthing beloved masterpieces that will be praised and referred to for years beyond that which your naysayers and contemporaries died, at the cost of fullfillment (also, remember that you may still be dirt poor, but your grandkids--if you, somehow, had any--would be rollin' in it).

Man, it seems so simple. I think anyone would choose door number one. The thing is, these people who've walked this darker path didn't think they had a choice. Or didn't see the other door...or rather they saw it as locked, barred and chained.

I think they go down that path hoping to find another way in to door number one. Since the most obvious way is inaccessible for them.

But, still. I guess my point is that great art can come from completely functional people, too.

So, anyway, I liked this book. The way it tackled that topic was interesting. The ending was a bit contrived...I assume to help make that all important, climatic full circle between the narrator and the narrator's subject.

But, it was a good read that made me think. And, as Martha would say, "It's a good thing."

Plus, my vocabulary has grown a bit. That's because the wording in the novel is not pretentious, it's accessible. It's not on the level of "See Jane Run," but your trips to the dictionary are infrequent and worth the effort.

The book is funny without trying too hard. It's disturbing and what's even more disturbing is that the main character-whose been horrible!-doesn't become unlikeable...until the last couple chapters...at which point he began to grate my nerves. I'd like to think that the reader was purposely led to feel the same way about him as the character who is the subject of the plot.

I just thought of that. And, I think either I or Joey Goebel (the author of the novel I'm speaking of) am/is a genius. The answer depends on whether or not my assumption is correct.

So, I have a little news. Not much. I think I'll break it up into another post. If I don't, then I guess I'll see you...next month, maybe.

Till then, enjoy the food, family, festivities...and Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home